The Elimination Diet - Days 3 - 5

Days 3 - 5

The first few days on the stabilization portion of this diet have been interesting.  I’ve confirmed a source of bloating I’ve been in denial about, I turned down a free drink by a very cute bartender and I haven’t cheated once.  I haven’t always had the healthiest relationship with food or my body so to achieve these three things is a really big step for me, and I must say, I’m quite proud of myself.

Here’s a little background on why I’m doing this program in the first place.  Over the last few years my body has stopped digesting food and functioning smoothly without snags.  The majority of my digestive issues have come from stress but there are also some food related issues as well.

This is how my doctor described my digestive problems – look at your stomach like a highway, after time and a lot of traffic, a road will get worn down with pot holes and cracks that need to be repaired.  If this damage is left unfixed it will just get worse.  It’s the same with my stomach, right now there are some “pot holes” and “cracks” that need to be repaired and this program is one of the suggestions he made to help.

So, with all that being said - brown rice makes me bloat.  This isn’t a new discovery as much as a confirmation.  I found out I reacted to brown rice when I first attempted this program a couple of years ago.  Apparently, brown rice is supposed to be one of the easiest grains to digest, not for me!

On Saturday, I made the banana muffin recipe (page 225) which is my favourite.  I ate half a muffin and bloated instantly.  I was having a stressful day so I didn’t think too much of it because I always bloat when I’m stressed, even when I eat simple foods.  I tried it again this morning and it was the same – more bloating.  This time, I’m not ignoring it.  I’m going to cut out brown rice and brown rice flour and try to reintroduce it at a later time.  I’ve ordered some quinoa flour so not all is lost!  I also just realized I can eat pickles on this program which are my favourite so these things have a way of balancing themselves out.


Is this what being an adult feels like?  Not lying to yourself?

Comments

Popular Posts