Inspirations

Because I've dedicated this year to becoming stronger and more at peace with myself I thought I would start sharing some of the things that have inspired me the most in my life.  In this post I'm going to focus on books because I've loved books since the day I learnt to read and I've always found such salvation in books during times of stress.

1. A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistery


This is a story about how the lives of different classes of society in India merge together and impact each other's lives.  This novel is fiction but uses real events in history as part of the story.  I don't want to give anything away about this book because I just think the journey is so beautiful.  Every time the book takes you to a high it plunges you low and just when you think there's no hope good things happen.

I have read this book 4 times and every time I walk away as impacted as the first time.  For me, this story reminds me that no matter how low I feel and how frustrated I get with my struggles there are people who have it far worse.

This book is over 600 pages so it is an investment of your time but there is not one person that I've met who has read this book who it did not impact.

2. The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo


Over the years I've heard time and time again that I should read this book from almost every book reader I've spoken to but I only ended up reading it when I arrived in Australia which I found very apropos.  This book reinforced my decision to leave the comforts of home and go on this journey of self discovery.  Whether you believe in destiny or not I think the message of self exploration is a must for every person with self doubt.



Happy Reading!


Comments

  1. I read a fine balance. It was a great book experience - disappointed in the ending. But out of 600 pages I guess that means 590 or so were great - that's a good percentage. :D

    Also read The Kite Flyer - holy moley, I think I'm too afraid to watch the movie, though. I don't know if I could stand the trauma. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, that was me - hahahahahaha.

    Auntie Judie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting Auntie Judy. I was excited for a second when I saw "unknown". :)

    Yeah, the Kite Runner was such a great book. I've avoided the movie too!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts