Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary


My one must-do outing in Brisbane was to visit the Lone Pine Koala Sanctuary.  A decent sized habitat that promotes the safety and well being of koalas.  When I heard about this sanctuary I absolutely could not resist a visit.  It just felt like a once in a lifetime opportunity.

This sanctuary is amazing.  The koalas are not kept behind glass or bars but are in an open, den-like enclosure where they sleep among eucalyptus habitats.  Each habitat is surrounded by a 3 1/2 foot rock wall and starts about 2 feet in.

It's estimated that there are only forty - fifty thousand koalas left in the world.  This seems like a lot but there are more spectators that attend the Super Bowl every year.
My favourite part was that the koalas were spread out across the entire habitat so every where you went they were there to faun over.  I ate lunch watching them stretch and wondered through a mini forest reading up on different facts about their lives.

There was one habitat for the senior citizen koalas.  They're grumpy and need to be isolated.  I don't blame them.
The main attraction was of course getting my picture taken with Tegan.  The smart thing was I had to pay for the picture before it was actually taken.  That way, I couldn't have my fix and then not buy the picture.  This ensures the sanctuary makes money to keep operating but also ensures that the koalas aren't overtly handled.

Originally I was supposed to hold a koala named Zip but she wanted nothing to do with me and kept pushing away.  I didn't take it personal. :)
Over the years koalas have started to develop incurable diseases and Lone Pine has been working with local universities to research and develop cures so koalas can be treated and put back in to the wild.  I absolutely love that Lone Pine is more than just a zoo.  It's a safe haven for animals that are struggling to remain in the wild.

Koalas have built-in seats in their bottom that lay flat wherever they sit.  This is how they can squeeze into tiny or awkward spots and sleep comfortably.


I mean, I got to see that in person!  It's just too much!
The koala sanctuary also had a lot of other attractions to see other then koalas.  I actually got to pet and feed a kangaroo.  The day kept getting better and better.


I've always heard that kangaroos are dangerous and shouldn't be approached.  I think these kangaroos have been bred in the habitat so they have been conditioned to humans.  I walked up to a couple with a handful of food and they couldn't even be bothered to smell it let alone eat it.

I nicknamed her Francis.  She just looks like a Francis to me.
How cool is this?

It was so fun seeing animals I've never heard of before.  This is a cassowary and he had the most gorgeous colours I've ever seen on an animal.  He moved so fast I wasn't able to properly capture just how magnificent he really was.

Rock-a-Billy was not interested in me taking his picture.  He would not hold still and seemed to purposefully turn his back so I could capture his gorgeous colours.  I'm pretty sure he fingered me as I walked away!
Tasmanian Devils have been misrepresented as aggressive animals.  They have an inherent need to scavenge for food and make a lot of noise doing so.  This is where the misrepresentation comes from.  I still wouldn't approach one though...
In addition to providing homes for animals there is a very large and expansive eucalyptus farm where the sanctuary grows its own food for the koalas.  Koalas are very picky eaters and get board of eating to much of one type of eucalyptus plant so the sanctuary grows, I believe, over 100 different species.



Here's a variety of pictures from my day.  I hope you enjoy.






Finally, a horse that comes in my size!


Comments

  1. I love it! What a great day and great photos. Although I suggest one small edit - the cassowary 'gave you the finger.'

    ;-)

    Daph

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts